Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Right kind of Player

Nothing really interesting has come up for me to blog about besides Floyd Mayweather being one of the most ignorant and intolerant people on this planet, but if he were the topic I think the blog would be done right here. So I decided to do a follow up on all the overrated or unwanted players in each respected sport, by discussing guys who I think everyone who would want to have as that glue that holds a team together. Maybe their not the guy who shows up on ESPN every night or wins every award, but their the guy that superstars thank day in and day out that they were apart of their team. So...here we go... 

In the NBA, I am a big fan of the guy who is consistent on both sides of the court, and the guy who stays out of trouble off the court, and most importantly (or at least hopefully) the guys who make millions of dollars who are broke as fuck two years after retirement. 

Shane Battier - That wrinkle headed former dukie does everything he is supposed to, especially when it comes to playing man on man defense against every big name player. His performance was second to none when he squared off against Kobe Bryant in the playoffs a few years back. He is a team leader and a superb role player. 

Zach Randolph/Kevin Love/Al Jefferson - There might be more but I particularly like these guys because they put up solid numbers every single night. With the exception of ZR who is out for the season with injury, the other two average well over a double double, and they both play on very average teams. Randolph punished Duncan and the Spurs last year and would have been elite again this year if it weren't for injury. 

James Harden/Serge Ibaka - With no disrespect to Durant and Westbrook (even though I hate that fuck), Harden and Ibaka to me are the reasons that Thunder maintain such dominance this season. Both Durant and Westbrook are the faces of OKC, but James Harden would probably be a superstar are any other team he played for. As for Serge? the man is like a more athletic Dikembe Mutombo...all he needs now is a cool gesture after he packs someone's shit when driving the lane. (Mutombo had the finger-wave). My suggestion? the suck it sign...like x-pac when he wrestled for d-generation x. Granted a bit bold and unprofessional, but my God would it be intimidating. 

In the NFL again it is all about the hard workers...the guys who don't need a huge paycheck after one good season. 

Hines Ward - sure the man is getting old now, but for a receiver he is one of the dirtiest in the league...which is awesome! If you go look at 95% of the receivers in the NFL their idea of blocking is having a tickle fight with the corner opposite of them. Hines Ward works hard whether the ball is coming his way or he blocking Ray Lewis. It doesn't matter he is going to do what it takes to make sure his team wins. *sidenote: the guy has no ACL in one of his knees...I'm not even sure how he can play but regardless it is pretty impressive. 

The good offensive linemen - these guys are so under-appreciated that I don't even know their names myself. These guys are the reason often running backs are so dominant, and QB's have the stats they do. Nothing more needs to be said...there the heart of the team. 

Ed McCaffrey - Yeah I know he is retired, but back in his heyday, not only was he dominant on Blitz but the man didn't drop a pass. John Elway and Mike Shanahan were the sickest fucks in the NFL. Shanahan would call crossing routes down the middle for this guy, while John Elway would lead his pass just enough for Ed to catch it, but to get  absolutely destroyed upon catching it. Poor Ed, he probably can't even walk anymore...the only receiver I ever respected for wearing all his leg pads. 

Again with baseball...who honestly gives a fuck. For the guys working hard...if you were good enough to be a "hard worker" you wouldn't be thirty pounds over weight rotting in the minor leagues. 

Soccer was a bit tricky, cause a lot of the guys who are vital for teams I honestly hate. 

Raul/Inzaghi/Klose/Kuyt(aka sloth from The Goonies)/Hernandez - Besides Raul and Chicharito, I can't stand any of these other guys. Most of them can't remember the last time they scored a goal just shooting the ball. All these players practically live offsides, don't show up for a game for 87 minutes, but seem to score either in the most important of times, or all the time on some shitty goal. These guys also play on the most elite of teams, so as much I hate them, I would want them on my team. 

Skrtel/Kompany/Keane(I'm talking Roy not that pussy Robbie)/Vieira - Or any other guy on the field that when push comes to shove, or maybe a little scuffle breaks out on the field...these are the guys I want behind me because I am pretty sure that 3/4 of these guys have actually killed a man on the field and scared the ref too much for him to do anything. 

Claude Makalele- The biggest reason Real Madrid and Chelsea were successful when they were winning titles. I don't care who you said was on their team back then, if you watch those games...than man could hold the entire field, box-to-box all by himself. 

I am sure I missed some, but what is important is to understand that there are some players that deserve more credit than they're given. Also I apologize for any grammatical or spelling errors, it's early and I'm too tired to go back through it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment